Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Shared Foundation- Inquire


Photo by Pixabay
Mrs. Jessica Cypress is the librarian at Brennen Elementary School, where she serves 800 students. Brennen is the largest elementary school in the RCSD1 district. She was a teacher for 8 years before she was asked by her principal to take on the role of the librarian. She has been serving as the school librarian for the past 8 years. Mrs. Cypress is sharing her input on the shared foundation- inquire.

Questions:
1. What are some examples of the ways in which you are implementing these competencies in your library program? I collaborate with teachers for research projects. I work with teachers to design units where we have the students choose a research topic of interest to them, ask questions about that topic, and find the answers. 

2. What are some of the resources in your library program that you are using to implement these competencies? I teach students how to find books on their topics through Destiny, and we use DISCUS online. 

3. Do any of the competencies that you are implementing include collaboration with classroom teachers? Yes, I collaborate with teachers on research projects in K, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades. I teach about the research process and finding/evaluating information, and the teachers facilitate the research in individual classrooms. Some teachers have me teach students how to present their information on different platforms, while some prefer to do that on their own. 

4. What are some of the challenges that you face when trying to implement these competencies?

Time. With such a large school, it is challenging to be able to spend a lot of time with each class. We have six kindergarten classes, seven 1st grade classes, six  2nd grade classes, and six 3rd grade classes. It's just very time consuming to work with everyone on grade level. 

5. Are there any other comments that you would like to make regarding the Shared Foundation/Competencies and Domains that we have discussed today? No, not at this time.

Reflection: As I reflect on Mrs. Cypress and how she implements the Inquire competency, I am just blown away. 800 elementary students, with so many same grade classes, boggles my mind.  When I was at the elementary level for 11  years, we had half as many grade-level classes as Mrs. Cypress, and it was challenging to get those classes in weekly. As we have moved into more technology this year due to COVID, I am impressed with the fact she has been able to teach her youngest students how to find their own books in Destiny and DISCUS.  Mrs. Cypress seems to have great knowledge of various platforms in which students can use to present their research projects, and this will be beneficial to the students as they progress through school. This year Mrs. Cypress will be going to classrooms with a book cart with library books for younger grade students to check out and will deliver books that have been placed on hold through Destiny. I imagine juggling running to classes through the hallways, while still giving instruction will be a challenge, as the higher grades will be allowed to return to the library for check out, but I have no doubt that Mrs. Cypress will be able to handle all of the changes this year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment